Tourism Cares in North Lake Tahoe
Reflections from Tourism Cares Summit with North Lake Tahoe
The Tourism Cares Summit was recently held in North Lake Tahoe. This event gathered travel and tourism professionals from throughout North America to learn about sustainable travel and how to infuse those lessons into local communities.
The sessions and conversations focused on climate change and conservation, and the critical role sustainability plays for tourism destinations.
The summit also included hands-on volunteering with local non-profits. Collectively, attendees completed nearly 450 hours of volunteer service in the North Lake Tahoe area.
Here’s what this wonderful group accomplished:
- Constructed 3/4 of a mile of new trail with TAMBA and Keep Tahoe Blue
- Collected and categorized 480lbs of waste from Lake Tahoe with Clean Up the Lake
- Removed 200 cubic yards of green waste with North Tahoe Fire
- Assembled 5 elevated garden beds at Slow Food Lake Tahoe
- Cleared 1,000 gallons of green waste from the U.C. Davis gardens
Reno-Tahoe Territory and our members aim to continue to do our best to be a responsible and sustainable destination. Our properties and members intend to apply the actionable best practices from the conference to make the biggest impact to Reno-Tahoe Territory and the surrounding communities.
If you’re looking for ways to be a more eco-conscious traveler, check out our recent blog where we offer practical ways you can contribute to destination stewardship.