St Mary’s Art Center
St. Mary’s Art Center is housed in the historical St. Mary Louise Hospital, a National Historic Landmark. Built in 1875 by The Daughters of Charity and Father Patrick Manogue, this four-story, gabled, red brick building sits on land that was originally donated by Mary Louise MacKay. After the decline of the Gold Rush, the building was left abandoned until 1964 when Father Meinecke saved it from disrepair and dedicated it to the arts and culture in the community. As a 501c-3 non-profit, St. Mary’s Art Center now serves the community as a hotel, workshop space, art gallery and events venue.