Douglas County Historical Society
The Douglas County Historical Society seeks to enrich lives by preserving local history and making it accessible to our communities and visitors. The society operates two museums: the Courthouse Museum located in Genoa and the Carson Valley Museum & Cultural Center located in Gardnerville.
The Courthouse Museum occupies the original Douglas County Courthouse, constructed by Rufus Adams and Lawrence Gilman in 1865 when Genoa was the county seat. It reflects early emigrant life and the development of early pioneer towns.
The Carson Valley Museum & Cultural Center served as the original brick and mortar high school in Douglas County. The building was designed by renowned Nevada Architect Frederic DeLongchamps in 1915. It carries forth of the history of urban development welcoming the age of steam and electrically; and includes the Washoe Room, showing casing Native American Culture.