Your Summer Guide to Reno-Tahoe’s Hidden Gems
Uncover a new adventure with this summer guide to the Reno-Tahoe Territory for new and under-cover attractions, activities, destinations and restaurants. The Reno-Tahoe Territory is a vast and diverse region with hidden gems around every towering peak, crystal clear lake and breathtaking sunset, making for memorable and crowd-free summer getaways.
- Immerse yourself in Reno’s rich and vibrant art scene. The Nevada Museum of Art is a beautiful mix of permanent and traveling exhibits and also hosts happy hour and Sunday bottomless mimosas at the museum’s restaurant, chez louie. For more arts and culture in Reno/Sparks, visit here.
- For an outdoor art experience, stroll Reno’s happening Midtown District for more than 60 larger-than-life murals painted by local, national and international artists. While in Reno’s Midtown District, treat yourself to a unique shopping experience. Midtown’s lively scene boasts cute women’s boutiques, famous one-of-a-kind thrift shops and truly novel plant shops.
- Carson City’s golf courses are some of the most beautiful but one stands out for a completely new experience: the Cadillac Ranch Driving Range at the Silver Oak Golf Course. The Silver Oak Golf Course designed the range using vintage cars that have been collected since 1974. The art on the cars was inspired by Carson City’s deep history, hand-painted by students of the National Art Education Society from Doral Academy Red Rock, and include a ‘Vegas Strong’ dedication car in memory of the 58 victims lost at the Route 91 Harvest Festival in 2017.
- The Carson Canyon Railbike Tour is a railbike experience that gives people of all ages the opportunity to see the beauty of the Carson River Canyon in a whole new way. The railbikes are safe, easy-to-pedal and a whole lot of fun. The “pedal assist” motors help you travel along the railway without breaking a sweat.
- Take to the skies with Soaring NV , a glider operation that offers glider rides, lessons and tows from its Minden-Tahoe Airport location. The natural movement of the atmosphere safely and peacefully carries you over the Sierra Nevada, Yosemite National Park and more. This is a once-in-a lifetime way to experience the mountain and valley scenery of the Reno-Tahoe Territory.
- All summer long, well-known venues in Carson Valley host “Music Under the Sky” where revelers can enjoy a variety of musical lineups. Come for the music, stay for the famous Nevada sunsets while enjoying the likes of Journey Revisited, the Righteous Brothers and Travis Tritt.
- Pascal Baboulin, the Virginia City Hatmaker at the Pioneer Emporium is a local icon, creating thousands of fine hats that combine traditional European hat making techniques with modern American practices. Each hat is uniquely made, a true work of art and a lifelong souvenir of the modern Bonanza.
- Every third Thursday of the month is Everyone is a Local at Night in Virginia City. The monthly event embraces the historical town’s charm and welcoming atmosphere. Visitors from near and far are invited to take in the real, old-west vibe with special discounts, VIP tours and live music at participating shops, museums, tours and attractions.
North Lake Tahoe
- Reconnect with family and friends at your own pace with a private, virtual or ‘to-go’ Painting Parties hosted by Easel and Wine. The Incline Village-base traveling art studio facilitates art parties throughout the Lake Tahoe region and can be themed to your liking. Artistic ability is not mandatory. A sense of fun is highly encouraged!
- Lake Tahoe’s Hidden Beach is synonymous with summer hidden gems. The public beach is flanked with giant boulders and boats in Lake Tahoe’s crystal-clear turquoise waters. The sandy beach is great for sunbathing, swimming and picnicking. Parking for Hidden Beach is limited and requires a one-mile walk, making this beach secluded and peaceful.
South Lake Tahoe
- Zephyr Cove’s Capisce? Restaurant is a delicious and off-the-radar Italian restaurant serving handmade ravioli, pasta, pizza, spirits and more. Every dish is mouthwatering and made with love.
- Clearly Tahoe is an all-ages and unique recreational tourism company offering guided tours and rentals in completely transparent kayaks. Guided tours showcase the beauty of South Lake Tahoe and an all-new North Cove Sunset Tour offers tours in North Lake Tahoe as well.